Home and School Association
Volunteer/Chaperones Guidelines for
Parents/Guardians of GWCHSES Students
Adults applying for or holding an unpaid position as a volunteer working with individuals under the age of 18 are required to have the following certifications under Pennsylvania State Law.
1. The Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
2. Pennsylvania State Police Criminal record Check
Background check fees for volunteers were waived by the governor July 25, 2015.
1. Individuals seeking The Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance can go directly to https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS to create an individual account and apply.
2. Individuals seeking the Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check may go to http://www.epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
Clearance by Mail
Hard copy clearance forms are available for those who do not want to or prefer not to submit applications online. The state is currently taking 4-6 weeks to process applications. The required forms are:
1. Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check – Volunteer only: SP 4-164A (7-2015)
2. Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance: CY 113(UF) 6/11
Volunteers do not need to obtain a $25.75 fingerprint based FBI Criminal Background Check unless they:
1. Are applying for a paid position within the organization (e.g. summer camp counselor)
2. Have lived outside of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania within the past 10 years.
All positions in which a volunteer is, “Responsible for the welfare of a child or having direct contact with children,” are required to have these two clearances.
Each volunteer is responsible to provide the school with current copies of both clearances.
If you have any questions about the Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Record Checks, please call (717) 783-9973. Contact the CWIS Support Center at 1-877-343-0494 for questions on the Child Abuse History Clearance. You may view the Frequently Asked questions (FAQ’s) for volunteers at http://keepkidssafe.pa.gov/clearances/index.htmor or contact the school.